Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Getting Over My Fear of Offending

Reading about Gutstein’s “pedagogy of questioning” I found myself thinking back to Gutiérrez’s notion of equity mathematics in that both aimed to encourage students to become critical thinkers in the way that they questioned the math they learned and how they learned it. In Gutiérrez’s article, she discussed how reform mathematics may encourage such critical thinking but that it did not necessarily lead to students thinking critically about the structures of equity (or lack thereof) that exist in the world they live in (Gutiérrez p.39). In Gutstein’s article, it seems clear that he managed to create a classroom in which students were able to truly reflect on why some groups were approved for mortgages more often than other groups but more importantly that everyone had the opportunity to respond in their own way and to even question the teacher or disagree with him (Gutstein p.62).

The biggest concern that always comes up for me, as a second-year teacher, is to not clash with those I’m working with or working for. As much as this makes me a follower, I’m OK with that to a certain degree (I blame it on my family’s influence…I always had to listen to my parents, and still do to a ridiculous degree as others see it). When Gustein states, “creating a pedagogy of questioning demands that teachers be more open than we are generally used to being. And the more open we are, the more there is the potential to influence students to accept our positions, as well as possibly to cause our positions to clash with those of the students’ families, of the school administration, and of the students themselves” (p.66), I felt an instant shame knowing how much I am afraid to be the teacher that brings up contentious issues in the classroom. I remember when I was student teaching at a vocational school in the Toronto District School Board and my associate teacher was describing her fear of student teachers due to a bad experience with her last one; she told me how he had dared to talk about “common law families” while teaching a lesson on fractions (something to do with common denominators, I think). I remember thinking, “what’s wrong with that? Isn’t that what we’re supposed to do – include different types of families into our classroom teaching rather than always assuming a family has a mom and a dad?” while nodding sympathetically at my associate teacher’s horror story.

I always think about this past scenario when I think about incorporating a social issue into my math instruction. At times I worry that I will never be able to be the type of teacher that continually questions students and encourages students to question her, to create the classroom environment where students become critical thinkers. I suppose this is why I am so attached to teaching the curriculum "as it is" without much thought to how I can frame lessons with a social justice perspective. At other times I placate myself that I'm only one teacher in these students' high school careers...but the problem becomes clear if every other teacher these students have (or even just the majority of the teachers) are also as complacent as me, then when will we ever be able to change math instruction (or, at the very least, think critically about changing it)?

Any suggestions on how I can stop being so afraid?

5 comments:

  1. I believe this fear is completely understandable and definitely one that is very difficult to put aside. We are often told that we are to be objective and not to unduly influence our students' thoughts or beliefs, and yet we adjust our teaching accordingly to ensure that we are reaching our students. In other words, we allow ourselves to be influenced by our students, so why can't we perhaps be allowed to influence our students? I am not talking about fundamentally changing their views on religion, politics, etc., but can we not question their thoughts as they question ours? If there is a room of mutual respect between student-teacher, student-student, then perhaps bringing up difficult issues such as racism can be done. I find sometimes the greater difficulty is bringing up social issues in a meaningful way. I have used data from the Chernobyl incident to bring 'life' to exponential functions and stats, but after this week's reading I believe I could 'flesh' it out more so that it does hit more social issues. However, as stated by other time is needed, and you said here fearlessness is also needed.
    I don't believe I have answered your question at all about how to lessen your fear, sorry. I think a good way to start is baby steps and as Civil suggested in her chapter, find out what is important to your community, what issues are important to your students, and from there we can gently enter the forum of contentious issues with the idea of addressing their concerns, but with the underlying thought that full solutions to their questions may not come. Instead we may just have more questions, but that is okay too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are some very interesting points. I also think having the fear to "explore the unknown" with students can be a daunting experience for teachers as these contexts demand that we give up some of our authority and control of classrooms. As a science and mathematics teacher, I find that many students regard these subjects as absolute, empirical and rigid in terms of knowledge (how ironic). I remember reading a similar article by Dr.Kevin Kumashiro regarding critical pedagogy. Like the authors of this week's readings, Kumashiro advocates teachers to investigate hidden curricula present in the contexts of their teaching material. Students must realize that even the subject content they learn in mathematics is not free from historical, cultural and social biases. For example, my students and I recently had a spontaneous disscussion of the Eurocentrism present in mathematics education and some students even highlighted Middle Eastern and Asian mathematics in history. Again I think this disscussion stemmed from the fact that studentsmay have felt comfortable to express their opinions and stances in my class. Indeed, these conversations may not happen overnight and with continual encouragment and persistance, I think fear will at least subside. I always tell myself even students aren't asking critical questions of mathematics & equity in classrooms, doesn't mean that they are not thinking about them...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can definitely understand the fear of bringing controversial questions into a classroom. I'm lucky enough right now to be in a school that accepts and encourages those kinds of questions, but I'm sure that won't always be the case.

    There are times when I think the only way teachers can (maybe) avoid having too much of an influence on their students' personal beliefs is to be open and up front about their own bias. If a teacher claims or tries to be neutral, students might think that everything they say is the absolute objective truth. I actually think this is much more detrimental to students' learning than to say "This is my understanding of it based on these experiences that I've had or this background knowledge that I have."

    But even doing that can be difficult in an environment where everyone is expected to be neutral or have the same opinion. I would guess (and hope) that I would feel more comfortable stating my own bias in the classroom as I get more experience as a teacher. There always seems to be some respect that comes from having more experience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Thank you for being so honest. I am at the opposite end of the spectrum in that respect and I am constantly at a clash with admin and other teachers (never a parent, yet) who just want 'silence'. I don't know how I can help you get over your fear because from where I stand I am constantly wondering how I can just close my mouth and join the other teachers on staff and follow. The theme (on paper) for our school is teach the children 'voice', so I allow them to have voice, teach them how to write letters and "voice" their opinions on matters that are current and important to them (e.g., snack program; feeding those whose parents pay and none to those whose parents did not) right there in the school. Talk about social justice! Apparently we are to teach them voice without allowing them to have voice. Therefore, I have become the example of what happens to teachers who have their own 'voice' and do not blindly follow. The others on staff are always there to say they support, but not likely to join me, or at least not publicly. This is a tough one, but somewhere there should be middle ground or maybe it will get easier as more teachers become aware and band together to try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone for replying...sorry it took me so long to respond!

    From each of your comments above, I took some bits and pieces of advice:

    "I think a good way to start is baby steps and as Civil suggested in her chapter, find out what is important to your community, what issues are important to your students, and from there we can gently enter the forum of contentious issues with the idea of addressing their concerns, but with the underlying thought that full solutions to their questions may not come. Instead we may just have more questions, but that is okay too!"

    "I always tell myself even students aren't asking critical questions of mathematics & equity in classrooms, doesn't mean that they are not thinking about them..."

    "I would guess (and hope) that I would feel more comfortable stating my own bias in the classroom as I get more experience as a teacher. There always seems to be some respect that comes from having more experience."

    From your comments I think the best answer to my question, how do I get over my fear of offending, is to find out what issues are important to my students, encourage their opinions and give my own, and wait for time to give me more experience and with that will come more ease of being able to be OK with voicing my opinions and addressing touchy issues in the classroom.

    To JWallace: please don't jump on the bandwagon! There are way too many teachers like me out there who are willing to follow along...students and fellow teachers alike need more inspiration in not always following blindly, especially when it comes to important social justice issues. I truly admire your willingness to be an advocate and hope that someday, when the opportunity arises, I'll be able to overcome my fear and do the right thing by my students and the greater society!

    ReplyDelete