Saturday, January 22, 2011

Balkanization and streaming

Hello everyone,

Am I a balkanized teacher? I am not sure, but maybe I too, am somehow a balkanized teacher (shame on me). Let's see, unlike most of you I have not taught any subject but chemistry. I introduce myself as a chemistry teacher in professional socializations, but I consider myself a teacher in general. I overload my students, my courses, and myself with variety of teacher-centered (old fashion) and student-centered (progressive) tasks and techniques. My students’ learning and likes have priority over the subject; however, the subject is also very important to me. I admit that I am a perfectionist though trying to be a realistic perfectionist, therefore I work hard to do the best I can for my students, and I make them work hard too. I really believe in group work and think students would learn from each other in some ways, however there are barriers. I appreciate any chance to pass the control of class to students, but first, I inform them that is a part of the teaching-learning process. I consider myself a little progressive but more humanistic. nonetheless, as Dewey (1938) argued that no matter traditional or progressive educational philosophy, I utilize whatever works better for my students, and mostly a combination of many styles...

Streaming or destreaming/tracking or untracking / segregating or desegregating… Maybe streaming works in adult education system. Nonetheless, I think streaming hurts young students, and I hate them become disappointed. I am wondering instead of those doings and undoings, Why not to try something else like Waldorf education system?

No comments:

Post a Comment